I originally posted about Ken's piano here.
His piano is pretty old and so was the piano bench. The bench isn't in very good shape. It's old and currently in pieces, although we have them all. We have talked about trying to restore the original one but I've been looking for a new (well, used) piano bench ever since the piano moved in. They're pretty difficult to find, even online.
My aunt Kay had mentioned to Ken that the owner of an antique store in American Fork had one he was holding for us. We went and looked at it yesterday. It was nothing like we were looking for. At some point in time, someone had cut the legs short, painted it white, and stenciled it. But while we were there, Ken noticed an organ bench that the antique store was using as a table. It was in GREAT shape and completely sturdy and solid. We knew it would be a little too tall for a piano but we asked the owner if we could take it home to see if it would work. We loaded it in the car and drove it home.
This is what we saw...
A pretty great match! It is a little bit tall, but we were excited that the wood matched as closely to the piano as it does. We are going to have someone alter it a little bit to lower it a few inches. But all in all, we were really happy with our little find. We went back to the store and paid for it.
Below is a picture of the bench by itself...
I love it! I was telling Ken that we have the same piano! My piano is actually an old upright that my grandma and grandpa Larson picked cotton to pay for it (no they weren't slaves, lived in Pima, Arizona on a farm....) And as I'm told, when my parents inherited the piano, they had it "updated" in the 60's, thats when the mirror was added on. The piano is now mine, and I thought it was quite unique when I was young, but counting Ken's, I now know of 4 that look like this. Oh, my bench is very wiggly :)
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome!!
ReplyDelete