Monday, August 16, 2010

Honeymoon - Days 1 & 2...

Day 1
London

Our plane landed in London about 10:00 a.m. their time. We were EXHAUSTED and only wanted some sleep. We weren't able to check into our hotel room until 3:00 p.m. so we had some time to kill. We left our luggage with the hotel concierge and headed out to find somewhere to eat lunch. We ate at a small pub that was close to our hotel. After we ate, we walked around the area and then sat in the hotel lobby to wait for our checkin time. We were able to get into our hotel room about an hour early, went up, and promptly fell asleep.

The plan was to sleep for just a few hours and then go out but much to our surprise, we woke up at 10:00 p.m. We ordered room service and watched some t.v. before falling back to sleep.

About 2:30 a.m. the hotel fire alarm went off and the hotel was evacuated. There wasn't a fire, but one of the rooms on the floor below us had their sprinkling system turn on for no reason.

So, we evacuated and hung out on the street with the rest of the hotel.


A view of our hotel and firetruck.


Thanks to Ken, we have this very unflattering photo of exactly how I felt about being out on the street at 3:00 in the morning.


Everyone waiting for clearance to get back into their rooms.
Yep. That was day 1.
Pretty exciting.


Day 2
London

We woke up after the exciting fire drill and headed out for the infamous Abbey Road, thanks to the Beatles. It's just a functioning intersection with a "shrine" of sorts surrounding it. I thought it was pretty fun!


The Abbey Road recording studio.


Me on the famous crossing.


Ken's turn to cross. He's the one on the left.


After Abbey Road, we walked to the subway and headed out for the Tower of London.
We got really good at their public transportation system!
Down, down, down we go to get to the underground.

Just waiting for our subway.


We spent the majority of the afternoon at the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge.
Here are a few pictures from our time there.


The site where Anne Boleyn was beheaded. Ewww...



This was my favorite room at the Tower. It's the chapel. It was beautiful!

More of the chapel.



Then we headed over to Tower Bridge.


After that, we went looking for an event that we wanted to do. We walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked before we figured out we were a little turned around. We FINALLY found where we wanted to go, but that was the beginning of some incredibly sore feet! It was also the beginning of our "quarter of a mile" inside joke. Our quarter of a mile "walk" ended up being at least 4-5 miles, we're not sure. We saw a lot of the city.

"...and if a double decker bus crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die" thank you, The Smiths.



Those were the highlights from our first 2 days!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that picture of you at 3:00 am. Priceless. It looks like you guys had a good first two days!

    MIND THE GAP! When I went to London I took a video of the subway train coming in and then showed it to my kids when I read the big book, "The Underground Dance" being they usually had no idea what an underground train was. Listen, listen, what's that sound?? Down, down, underground? A little looney - I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics...especially the 3 a.m. pic...I have to agree with Allison, that one IS priceless.

    BTW, I shared your bed story with my family...hope you did not mind...that was so funny...I giggled for a while on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 3 am pic and am just proud of you for actually having CLOTHES on. hahaha. Not implying that you would not have clothes on on your honeymoon, but that is my worst fear- the alarms go off and there I am in my underwear lol.

    Love your trip so far, can't wait to see more :D

    ReplyDelete