Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How do you say goodbye?

This week has been a rough one,
and it's only Wednesday.
This past Sunday was Ken's birthday. Anyone who knows Ken knows that this yearly event is rarely discussed and would permanently erased off of the calendar if it were possible. But since it's not possible, I celebrate it with as much hoopla as I can get away with. A gift, a non-fancy meal, and some yummy dessert. (that's about all of the hoopla I can get away with if I want to stay married) We also went to the MTC that night. It was a busy birthday. Ken's birthday is traumatic enough for one week.

Today was rough too.
I'm not a crier but I've cried a pretty good chunk of the day. Ken decided a few days ago that it was time to put his cat, Sascha, down. He has had Sascha for 18+ years. She was "healthy" for a cat of her age but she had kidney problems and had quit taking care of herself. Her meow had turned into more of a wail. I think Ken really struggled with the decision but he has been talking about it for a while. I went to breakfast this morning with my friend Kim who is moving to North Carolina. I am going to miss her! So while I was saying goodbye to a best friend, Ken was too. He chose to take Sascha to the vet by himself. I think me not being there probably made it easier for him.

I spent a little time with Sascha this morning and took a couple of last pictures. She was a sweet kitty.



Ken stayed with Sascha throughout the procedure and said it was really peaceful. Sascha, for the first time ever, was calm at the vet. Ken said it was almost like she knew and was ready for it to happen. Once it was done, Ken brought her back from the vet with him. She was in her cat carrier and looked like she was sleeping. We decided to bury her in my parents' pasture next to their gigantic blackberry bush. In this picture, the location of Sascha's "eternal cat nap" looks kind of like a heart when we finished. Completely unintentional. I just noticed it as I was blogging.


After we were finished with caring for Sascha, Ken and I went to put everything we had used away in my parent's garage. When we came back we noticed the horse had moved over to where Sascha was buried. It was almost like he knew something had happened. He sniffed around and actually patted the ground where we had buried her with his front hoof. It was incredible to watch.


We went home and gathered up everything that was Sascha's. We had a bag of cat food, a box of litter, toys, treats and a blanket. Even though the food and litter had been opened, the local Animal Shelter gladly accepts donations. We took everything over there and passed it on to the sad animals that need a home. I think there was a little closure by doing that.

When we got home, we both laid in bed talking about the day and trying to decide what to do for dinner since we were both exhausted. I joked about wanting Mexican food. Instantly the phone rang. Seriously. On the other line was a friend in our ward calling to tell us that she was bringing over dinner because she had made extra. She brought chicken enchilada's, Mexican rice, black bean and corn salsa and a gigantic bag of corn chips. Yep. Mexican food.


She had no idea about our sad day but made it a lot easier and happy for us. We felt extra loved! I am grateful that, for whatever reason, she felt prompted to call us. Dinner was delicious!

Tomorrow morning the carpet cleaners and coming. Sascha's kidneys were having problems so we're wanting to make sure there isn't anything on the carpet. In the meantime, Tank knows something happened and is pretty clingy and pouty.  Things around our house will be different. I will miss shaking the bag to give Sascha her treats, hearing her bizarre meow's and having her come visit me in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work. Goodbye fluffy friend. We will miss you!


6 comments:

  1. This post just totally made me cry. I'm sorry about your cat. It's so hard to say goodbye to pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Sascha...I shed a few tears as well. :( Hope you have a better end to your week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your cat, Ken. I hope you didn't move the decision sooner because I am coming. While I am thinking of it, the flt. is Delta 2029 arr at 4:18. See you both soon. Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my heart hurts after reading this post! I am so sorry! Life passes way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww... I'm sorry. She was lucky to have been so loved by you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to heat about Sasha; it's so hard and sad

    ReplyDelete