Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Slacking...

I'm a blogging slacker. I think this has been the longest I've gone in between posts. I guess I feel like there isn't much going on. Feeling inspired by my friend Allison's recent posting style, here are a few things that have gone on.
  • I am in complete denial that school is less than a month away. I'm back in meetings on August 16th and will greet the cute and nervous faces of my first graders on the 21st. It's an exciting time of the year as a teacher but also pretty scary. I have NO idea what this year holds for me. There is a new adventure awaiting.
  • I will begin the year with a student teacher. We worked together for a few weeks last year to "prepare" her for this year. She is darling and I love her! I hope I can "teach" her something about teaching but whenever I have a student teacher, I worry that I'll confuse them more than anything.
  • Ken's mom came out from Wisconsin and stayed with us for a few days. It was really nice to have her here. Ken and I both felt like we had a really good visit with her. I really like Ken's parents and am always glad when we are able to see them since they live so far away. It's fun for me to get to know them and hear stories about a younger (and not so obedient) Ken.
  • I was able to have a "girls retreat" in Heber with Ken's mom, sisters, aunts, and female cousins. We did a lot of crafting and had a few good laughs. It was really fun for me to get to spend some time with all of them.
  • Ken fell off of a ladder while painting our deck. One $600.00 MRI later (and that is WITH my better than everyone else insurance) showed that he has torn 2 meniscus disks on his right knee. We see a knee specialist next week and he may end up having surgery next week as well. In the mean time, he is supposed to be on crutches which he always sometimes rarely uses. Why is it that men can't follow doctor's orders?
  • We've got third row seats to see Wicked this Thursday. Pretty. Darn. Excited.
  •  My very good friend Kim moved to North Carolina. I'll post more about it later but I am super sad. The state of Utah already feels different without her.
  •  Ken is gearing up to begin school too. He'll be wrapping up his Master's Degree. He starts the week after I do. I think he's excited to teach more organ classes. He'll be filling out applications for his Doctoral program in the next few months. Unfortunately, neither BYU or the University of Utah offer the program so he's going to have to go out of state to pursue it. This is a touchy subject for me for a lot of reasons. I don't cope well with change.
  • I'm pretty sure that Tank has figured out that Sascha is gone... for good. He's been pretty mopey and has even looked for her. It makes me sad.
I'll post more exciting things later. For now, I need to run off to my classroom to meet my cute student teacher, Maddy. She has to get some summer hours in and I have to face the fact that my classroom won't set itself up without me there. We can cure a lot of cancers but my desks are still in a giant heap in the corner. Not fair, not fair.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to see you post again! I've missed hearing from you. So sorry about Ken's knee. Ken, be a good boy and listen to your dr and wife! And, by the way, it still doesn't feel right to me to not be coming back to Utah!

    ReplyDelete