Okay. If you read this, I want you to comment. Even if I don't know you, hate you, love you, or am completely unaware that you are cyber-stalking me, I want a comment. Please.
I think I am a geek, most of the time.
I can be a little OCD, most of the time.
I am fairly insecure, most of the time.
I am not spontaneous enough, most of the time.
I have to know where I stand with people, ALL of the time.
Case in point...
I have this bizarre need and obsession for "rules" and "definitions" in my life. Go figure. The most recent one? Needing to define my definition of dating. Now, you would think for someone my age (35 this year-YIKES!) dating would be no biggie, right? Been there and done that, more than once. Obviously my success rate is a little less than par. However, the older I get the more I feel a need to define the relationships I form with men. I want to know where I stand, and where they stand too. Here is a little snippet of something I would submit to Webster's if they ever came knocking...
Hanging Out: The act of two people choosing to spend quality time together. Activities could include things such as... going to movies, dinner, lunch, vacation, shopping, etc. One may also define this as a very close friendship with no romantic interest in the other party. At this stage, the idea of taking this type of relationship to "the next level" does not exist.
Dating: The act of two people choosing to spend quality time together. As with "hanging out", activities could include such things as... going to movies, dinner, lunch, vacation, shopping, etc. One may also define this as a very close relationship with the intention of having it become more. There is mutual interest between the two parties. There is romantic interest developing, and the intention of dating is to take it to "the next level", which in time is typically marriage.
Let's be honest... at my age, why would I want another male "hang out" buddy? If my end goal is to partake of eternal, celestial, glorious wedded bliss (insert a tired sigh here) than why would I want one more guy friend?
So there is a point to all of this... REALLY!
I've recently reconnected with someone from the past that I used to really like, and still do. We've gone out a little bit (notice how I didn't use the word "dating" or "hanging out"... cautious!) and a week ago I initiated a giant conversation about defining everything. I'm an idiot and am sure I look like more of a total freak to someone who pretty much can already assume I am. Wait... if he accepts my freak-ish side maybe that's good, right? Anyway, I have this need to know where my puzzle piece fits in his picture, if it even does. So we chatted for a little bit, well hours actually. He knows my weirdo dating definition and we came to the conclusion that we could classify our little outings together as dates. Good for me to know. I like him. I think he's great. I always feel better after talking with him. I enjoy spending time with him. I actually get butterflies in my stomach when I see him and I love that! He makes me want to be a better person. I'm a little terrified (as usual) but glad to know that's what it is so I can proceed forward.
Here's my question...
Am I totally retarded? Is there anyone else that has to define aspects of their life?
Even if you're married... think back to the time before.
Well??
I never defined them but wish that I would have. It would have helped to prevent some akward situations. I think it's smart so that everyone is on the same page and someone isn't taking something totally out of the ballpark while the other person is still in the pit. I'm interested to hear all the details. We'll go out this week.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think my opinion may not count because I got married so young. I did date though. Is it really possible to just be friends with a guy if you are spending that much time together? I was not much of a definitions gal. I just kinda play it out and see what happens. I think Brian is more like you though - lay all the cards on the table.
ReplyDeletePeople... there have been over 25 views to this post and only Denise and Allison have commented? Come on! Re-read the first sentence... all who view shall comment. Support please... Lol
ReplyDeleteI think you are totally in the right to be in the "know". If he thinks you're a freak then move on...don't waste your time. Kudos to you for being so open. P.S. It was great seeing you at Cold Stone. You look fabulous!
ReplyDeleteI was definitely like you!! No sense in wasting your time if it wasn't going to go anywhere!! I am happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI always had to have a definition!! but always tried to patiently wait till I thought it was time to bring it up! Sounds like you did a great job of getting info you needed! And it's great how he makes you feel and that you two can talk about these things! Communication is EVERYTHING!! Esp when seriously dating and of course for after marriage. I'm so excited for you!!! I want to hear more and all the details!!
ReplyDeleteWow, school is coming up fast! I wish I could come back and teach with you guys! Are you ready for it to start back up? How has your summer been? I totally want to at least come hang out sometime.
Girlfriend, just go with the flow! Now that you've had the talk, enjoy each other and have fun. Let it all come naturally, don't "think" about it! Now, this is coming from an oldy-wed. T and I just had our 25th. But I think that's how we did it -- have the "DTR" and let it flow, baby!
ReplyDeleteand btw, CONGRATULATIONS, you deserve every bit of happiness.
I think defining things is good - especially since this is a re-connection. I think you did the right thing. And, do have fun and enjoy this "dating" phase! Love ya.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete