My poor mom had quite the Friday last week. My dad called me that night to let me know that he didn't want me to worry but he had called 911 because my mom had fallen down the stairs. She was carrying a box downstairs and misjudged which step she was on and ended up falling. My dad, unable to help her because she couldn't walk at all, called the paramedics to come help.
Ken and I went right over (we just live around the corner) to take my dad down to the emergency room. My parent's poor house looked like a murder scene. These pictures aren't very good but there were 2 police cars, a firetruck, and an ambulance all with their lights just a flashing. It brought out all of the neighbors, let me tell you.
They got my mom to the ER to check out the damage.
There wasn't much my poor dad could do but sit.
Ewwww... her foot was dislocated and the bones in her ankle were pretty much shattered.
They knocked my mom out with some heavy duty drugs and began trying to pop the two dislocated bones back together. I couldn't watch. It looked horrible!
Ken's old bishop and good friend, Jeff Abram, came to the ER to help Ken give her a blessing. He stuck around for a while to join in the fun.
While she was still unconscious, they got her leg stable and wrapped the ankle all up.
My poor mom. She was a little tipsy that night.
This smiley guy was the ER doctor that did all of the work.
So here is what has happened in the last week:
- My mom went in and had surgery yesterday. A plate, 8 screws and 2 giant bolts later she is back home.
- She's in a lot of pain.
- The doctor told her she cannot put any weight on her foot/ankle for 8 weeks.
- The doctor also told her she is looking at a 6 month recovery.
- My mom is NOT happy about the 2 previously mentioned facts.
- Her ward is AWESOME! All kinds of people are offering to help.
- My brothers and I have been taking turns spending the night there to help her out. We don't get much sleep while we're there so we're all a bunch of walking zombies the day after.
- Her neighbor and friend that lives across the street is a nurse and has spent 2 nights at her house as well.
My poor, poor mom. I feel so bad that she is in so much pain. I've been going to her house everyday, taking in meals and doing their grocery shopping. I guess it's payback for her changing my diapers as a baby, staying up with me when I was sick, and giving me a great life.
Feel better soon, mom!
Kristina I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she is pain free soon and that all of your lives get back to somewhat normal. I feel bad about complaining that you don't blog anymore. Please forgive!! Take care of yourselves so you don't get sick or something worse too. Love you both.
ReplyDeleteYour poor mom! That sucks! And I can't believe you posted the photo of her ankle pre-fixing :-). I can't look away because I'm both horrified and fascinated.
ReplyDeleteI really do hope she feels better soon. She is in my prayers. If you guys need anything, bug my mom, just down the street.
Tanya Spackman
Oh man! I am so sorry to hear this! It all sounds so painful and horrible. I've been wondering why you haven't blogged for awhile. Now I know. You are a great daughter for helping out so much. Your mom is lucky to have so many people around to help her.
ReplyDeleteHow terrible! I hope the recovery goes well. My best wishes go out to you.
ReplyDeleteOh your poor mom!!! That just looks awful!! I hope she has a speedy recovery!!
ReplyDelete