Sunday, October 28, 2012

Senile...

Everything, at some point, goes crazy I'm finding out.


 So Tank has been acting weird over the past few weeks... well, weirder than normal. He's super duper extra needy a lot of the time, and avoids us completely at other times. He stares at walls. He's losing his hearing and his eye sight is noticeably failing. His coordination isn't near what it used to be. It makes me sad.

The weirdest most recent thing he does is start to shake uncontrollably and pant really hard. His tongue hangs all of the way out of his mouth. It's kind of scary. It also seems to be on cue. If he thinks we're leaving or not paying enough attention to him, the shaking starts. It's almost impossible to calm him down. He won't eat any of his dog treats or even "people food".

So I called the vet last week. I told them about the shaking, wondering if it's something serious or not. The vet's office told me they could do a bunch of testing and blood work to rule out certain things but the problem was most likely senility. Yep. My dog is having puppy panic attacks, separation anxiety and moments of complete and utter senility. Senile. He's basically losing it. I'm sad about it. I got online and looked up a bunch of stuff and found this...


Tank is showing a lot of these signs. I also found online that a lot of pet owners have their animals put down once they begin showing signs of senility. NO WAY! I couldn't believe someone would do that because their pet's personality was changing. Seeing my 13 year old little Tank in his moments of craziness makes me so sad but there is no way I'm putting him down. That's all. I just had to vent about Tank. It's hard to watch!


1 comment: