It's looking like a weekly post may be all I can do these days. I guess once a week is better than never. This week I sort of made a mess in my classroom. I decided that since I won't be teaching at my school next year that I needed to start to re-file and de-clutter stuff I've been putting off for years.
This is my desk. It goes from being a disaster to being clean and then back to a disaster. I'm not sure if I'm really accomplishing anything or just moving piles of papers from one side of the room to the other.
Tank has been getting us up A LOT at night. He has always slept through the night but these days he is waking us up 3, 4, and 5 times a night. He "needs" to go outside. More often than not, Tank will go out on the deck, stand there, and then come back inside. I can't figure it out. He also doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning. Tank made this little "fort" on the bed the other morning. He moved the pillow, made a nest, and fell asleep. I had to take a picture.
We did a little St. Patrick's Day writing in first grade this week too. The kids made a book about leprechauns, shamrocks, and pots of gold. I never give my kids writing prompts but they had a lot of fun with this. This was my favorite! One of my students named Ethan wrote...
"If I had a lucky shamrock, I would wish for all of the American Girl dolls would disappear and put the shamrock in a museum." Spoken like a true 7 year old boy.
We have signs of spring at our house! Woohoo! It's warmed up a bit and we have tulips, crocus, and daffodils popping up. It's a nice sight.
I decided to have a non-academic hall display up on the wall outside of my classroom. I had all of the students make eggs to hang on the wall. I slapped up a bunny I've had for years and hung up a "Happy Easter" banner. But then I worried about the banner. You know, not mixing church and state since Easter is a religious holiday. I polled a few teachers on my end of the building to see what their thoughts were. One of the third grade teachers who I just adore had the best comment out of everyone. She said "Get over it! It's not like you hung a banner that said 'He Is Risen' above the bunny". I don't know why I found that so funny. I laugh every time I pass that bunny in the hall now.
Did you celebrate Pi Day on March 14th? We did.
Pizza pie and cookie dough pie - quite possibly the worst meal on the planet. Don't worry though. We had some baby carrots too.
Pi Day was also a reason to celebrate. Ken passed the first of two oral exams at BYU. He's been pretty nervous about it. I was honestly worried that he wasn't going to pass because he was so uneasy about it. But I received a phone call from Ken that afternoon with the good news that he had passed. He has his last oral exam coming up this Monday. Many, many prayers are coming his way.
Thanks to my good friend Marci, Ken and I are now fans of the reality show Duck Dynasty. I didn't think I'd like it but it is hilarious! Tune in if you haven't.
I took my final acceptance letter to the district office on Friday after school. It's official now and can't be undone. I've given up my teaching position. My job will now be advertised and filled by someone else.
After I got home from turning the form in I climbed in bed and cried my eyes out. I don't handle change well. I figure turning in the form was the first of many, many difficult things to come so I decided to bite the bullet and get it done sooner than later. It didn't make it any easier, though.
I went through a few Kleenex.
Tank was mopey with me, too.
I still felt emotionally foggy this morning so Ken and I decided to get out of the house for a little bit. We ended up eating lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I can't help but think that I might be able to find some really good Mexican food in Texas.
I went grocery shopping this evening. I decided to buy a roast to throw in the crock pot over night. I about died when the roasts were marked at $23.17 per pound. The 2.72 pound roast I chose was $63.02. I know meat has gone up in price but this seemed excessive. I took it to the meat counter to see what was going on since all of the roasts were marked this way.
Much better! They re-tagged it for me at the correct price and I went on my way. $5.79 a pound is still steep but it beats the mistaken price.
I have two more weeks of school until Spring Break. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
















YOur pi day sounds freaking amazing. In the next life I want us to be next door neighbors so I can invite myself over for such amazingness. I hope that Texas is full of AMAZINGLY fun surprises for you and that it is an easy move there and an easy move back. Change is so hard, so take time to cry and mentally prepare. I miss you and want to see you soon!!!!
ReplyDeleteI teared up a little bit when you wrote about turning in your notice and then going home and sobbing. I've been in similar situations before and it's heartbreaking! You must really love and be good at your job.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree with you about Downton Abbey. Sheesh!
Good luck with all your new adventures!
Leaving Ridgeline was one of the saddest things I've ever done. I felt like I left a part of my heart there. Every time I drive by it my heart aches a little. A whole new adventure awaits you in Texas. I'm just catching up on your blog so maybe you already wrote about this, but when are you moving? I'm moving up to Alpine May 31st and living with my inlaws until the end of July. We NEED to catch up.
ReplyDeletePS: I think your new hair cut it so pretty!! Especially when it's down!