Every morning on my way to work I pass the empty site of the Henderson Bizarre. It's permanent site for a flea market and had evidently been there for 25+ years. It's only open on Saturdays and Sundays and the curiosity of it has been getting the better of me. I decided on Saturday that Ken and I needed to head out to Fort Worth and wander through the bizarre. Not knowing exactly what to expect (I was afraid that we would be the only white people there speaking English) we grabbed two Diet Cokes and hit the freeway.
Here we are!
There were rows and rows of little booths.
Do you need paint? Here's your booth! The colors were already mixed, and some of the gallons were partly used but you can make it work, right?
Cowboy boots?
Weird produce?
Ken and I got brave and decided to have a little lunch. We stopped at this little taco truck. It's the only one that was displaying a food handler's permit so we took our chances.
We made two little friends at the taco truck. This cute boy and girl were the kids of the taco truck owners. They were so cute! They acted like we were dining in a five star restaurant. They were SO PROUD of their parent's little taco business. They seated us at our folding table, got us our can of soda and bottle of water, got some napkins for us, and told us how much we would love their dad's cooking. They also told us about their dog getting ran over by a car (or "crashed by a car" as the little girl kept saying), their elementary school, and their recent move from California. They'd come back every minute or two to check on us and tell us something else. They made my day!
Here are our tacos!
And here is the quesadilla Ken and I shared.
We passed a booth of nothing but soccer jerseys,
and questionable power tools - is that a meat cutter on the bottom right by the rubber boots??
This guy was selling tires and car batteries out of the back of his truck.
There were a lot of booths selling movies... out of sleeves. A little weird.
This was BY FAR the scariest thing I saw there. I'm not really sure if this little doll of horror was an intentional look or just a really used up toy. I didn't venture to find out.
We did make a few purchases there. We bought a plant that we'll be potting and putting out on the patio. A cute little elderly Asian woman with crispy looking hair sold it to us.
We also bought (knowing that it is most likely the worst $10.00 ever spent) on an F/M iPod thing that Ken wanted and a Bluetooth ear piece for me since my nice expensive one vanished in the same car that my brand new smart phone disappeared in. I swear whoever owns my car after I do will hit the jackpot. It's the black hole of lost electronics that I can't seem to find. I haven't tried out my wireless ear piece yet. We'll see how legit it is...
So now I've got the "Henderson Bizarre" bug out of my system. I went. It was interesting - like a giant combination of Goodwill, a garage sale, and the dollar store all rolled into one place with taco trucks. Uh huh. It was kind of a little cultural experience and as long as we're here we should be having them! I hear there is a REALLY fun on a few miles outside of Dallas. We may have to explore...
.jpg)















Isn't it fun to figure the local stuff out? What a great adventure you're having!
ReplyDeleteI agree...creepy doll. Is it like a Chuckie thing?
Ah, the memories you are making. :)
ReplyDeleteIf and when I come to visit you, you have to take me there!!!
ReplyDeleteWe go to the swap meet EVERY time we go to San Diego. It looks exactly the same. LOVE it. Wish we had something like that here in Utah.
ReplyDelete