So I had an enlightening conversation after school today with one of our night custodians. Granted, this custodian is newer to our school and is probably 18 years old. Here's how the conversation went.
Custodian: I don't understand why all of these teachers stay so late every night.
Me: Well, there is a lot to get done when you're a teacher. I used to stay late and come on the weekends the first few years I taught. I could stay here all night and not make a dent in everything I have to do.
Custodian: I guess I could understand it if you taught high school. I could see needing to stay late but come on... it's an elementary school. It's not that hard.
Okay then.
I smiled at him and the conversation ended there.
I wasn't about to explain how it is to handle almost 30 six and seven year olds all day with only a 25 minute lunch break... if I'm lucky. I wasn't even going to mention that they all come from different home situations and carry their own proverbial baggage, even at their young age. Some come hungry and others come the morning after their parents got into a screaming match. I have to be sensitive to their incredibly limited life experience and remember that no one playing with them at recess truly is the end of their world. I didn't bother bringing up the fact that some can't read or write but I am expected and responsible to bring them up to grade level with very little state funding and often times, little or no support from home. I am a referee, judge and jury, grief counselor, lecturer, entertainer, behavioral therapist, cheerleader, friend and occasional enemy as I've been known to rat out a kid to their parents from time to time. I'm expected to keep my cool no matter how far my patience is tested. I have to do all of this while keeping in the good graces of parents, administration, faculty, and district personnel. Oh... did I mention I have to do ALL of that while teaching the State Core? Teaching! I almost forgot about that. I was too busy talking about the easy stuff. Yeah. That teaching gig is a little tricky. The tricky part is letting them all go at the end of the year. My easy job also makes me genuinely love these kids!


AMEN!!!...got to love the wisdom of the inexperienced!
ReplyDeleteUntell you have walked in a teacher's shoes, I don't think you will ever fully understand. I just had to chuckle at the words of someone so young and so "full of wisdom". Funny!!!
ReplyDeleteWhen I student taught, I did k, 2, and 5. 5th was by far the easiest. Those elementary grade just require so much more prep work, and emotional connections. I give my kudos to all of you who work with those young kids. The rewards don't come without a lot of work and effort.
I liked reading this post. Very insightful. I have a new respect and appreciation for my children's teachers.
ReplyDeleteI only taught for a year but people honestly have NO IDEA how hard it is. It is one of those things I think everyone should have to do in this lifetime. Teach 1 day of school, and then maybe things would change in the education system! Until then, we get paid too much and have too much time off!
ReplyDelete