Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Am I smarter than a 5th grader?

I'm at school right now... well, work. You know. My work is school.
Anyway, I have a student teacher right now and she is doing an amazing job. Because of this, I am out of my classroom a lot. This has been a little nice, I have to admit. 
Today, one of our 5th grade teachers is out sick. He had a substitute all arranged but the sub called in sick as well. What to do... 
Since Miss Chidester isn't doing an awful lot these days (and the office staff knows it), I was asked to go ahead and take over the 5th grade class for the day. Hmmm... it's been quite a different experience from first grade and we're not even to lunch yet. I'm in the classroom right now typing, trying not to make too much noise. It's their silent reading time and I don't think I've ever heard a classroom so quiet before... at least not in first grade. This would NEVER be possible with 28 six and seven year olds. It's kind of nice. They're so independent! I could get used to it, I think. Not that I WANT to change grades or anything. Except for the math... it scares me. I took a peek at it and it's been a while since I've seen math like that. I'm glad I remember how to make improper fractions proper, and super useful things like that. (insert lengthy eye rolling here)  Whew!

1 comment:

  1. I would have been COMPLETELY lost. You are a better person than I am.

    ReplyDelete