
My three favorite excerpts from Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech delivered on August 28, 1963 at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.
"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
"I have a dream that one day... little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers."
Today at school our class talked about Martin Luther King Jr. and his movement to change the world. I am always in awe every year we talk about this. The students cannot fathom the world of segregation that existed a mere fifty years ago, and sadly still continues today in some places. After spending the morning talking only about the work and life of Dr. Martin Luther king Jr. we all went out to recess. While I was on recess duty, one of my students from last year came up to me on the playground. She is a cute little black girl. As she hugged me and was telling me about the book she had just read in her class, my thoughts left me for a few moments as I looked into her adorable dark face. Her smile seemed extra big and bright today to me as well. I couldn't help but think of all of the AMAZING students that teachers missed out on because of segregated schools. This little girl was a blessing in my classroom, and I am certainly a better person for having worked with her. Thanks, Dr. King... and happy birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment