
Last night "The Boy" and I went up to The Capital Theater to cash in his Christmas present. For Christmas, I gave him two tickets to the opera and a gift card for dinner. Low and behold, but who does he take with him? Me, of course! (smart man) Date night! After a short journey to Salt Lake and dinner at the Olive Garden (with yummy desserts) we ventured across the street to the theater.
The opera we saw was...
Carmen

I thought it was great... except she dies... which I'm still debating if I think she "deserved" it or not. Don't get me wrong... no one deserves to die... but in an opera, apparently anything goes. Well, Jose killed her at the end because he didn't want anyone to have her if he couldn't. Personally, I didn't think she was ALL THAT. I mean, I may not expose my bare shoulders 24/7 but I certainly trump Carmen and you don't see anyone killing me because of it. Geez! But I also don't have cool dramatic music and a Toreador following me around everywhere I go either. Maybe I should hire one.
This morning when I got to school, I immediately got online to look up the next opera. I called "The Boy" and woke him up (totally worth it) to check to see if March 15th would be okay to go again. His tired butt gave me two thumbs up and cha-ching! Tickets have been purchased and we have another fun opera in store for us. Next on the list is The Italian Girl in Algiers.
The Utah Opera website told me: "Gioacchino Rossini’s hilarious opera, The Italian Girl in Algiers, will delight you with a comic stumble of a shipwreck, missing lovers, jealous wives, and meddling servants. Rossini's energetic melodies and hilarious characters will have you laughing from curtain up to curtain down."
That's a pretty big promise, laughing from curtain up to curtain down.
I'm looking forward to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment