Monday, March 1, 2010

Wedding dress woes...

I'm having woes. Or have had woes. The woes are gone now until I buckle down to find attire.
I've been saying all along that I don't want a "traditional" wedding dress for the upcoming event. I feel like I'm too old (and too "not skinny") to pull it off. I truly think that there is a certain age where dressing like an "infatuated with love" 20 year old is silly. 
I think I'm at that age.

So I decided to not have a wedding dress. 
But then I changed my mind (imagine that!) and wanted to go looking and try a few on just to make sure I got the wedding dress itch scratched. So this past Saturday, my BFF Tiffany and I went up to the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City to a store that carries mostly modest wedding dresses. I found one that I loved! It is beautiful! I posted pictures of the dress below...



So what's the issue? Well, by the time the dress was ordered, altered, and the train cut off (yeah... I would have that done) the dress would be pushing $2000.00.
It's not even the money. I'd totally do it!
It's the fact that after it's worn for three or four hours, then what? What am I supposed to do with it? Hang it in the closet? Make a quilt out of it? Curtains? Seriously. I would regret spending any amount of money on something so frivolous that wasn't a trip to Europe!

So I've decided to not buy a dress.

I'm perfectly content in a long skirt, dressy shirt, and a pair of nice black flats. I's me. I know, I know. It's not "traditional". I'm good with that. I'd rather take the "dress money" and get everyone in my family something nice to wear so that EVERYONE feels included. My nieces would coordinate and my nephews could all have matching ties or something. My sis-in-laws could feel part of it even though there won't be a formal line. I just want everyone in my family to be part of our day. Plus, we would all look oober fantastic for family pictures!

So... don't post a comment about how I need a wedding dress or I'll regret it. I don't and I won't. But at least you got to see the one I liked a lot, and I still have $2000.00 in the bank!
Paris and London, here we come!!


1 comment:

  1. Adding my 2 cents: Mom has some wedding dresses that she got on clearance....not sure what she has, but you could always call her and have her send pics....but it is your decision and what you decide is the best decision of all! The honeymoon is the most memorable anyway....

    ReplyDelete