Tuesday, February 21, 2012

293/365 - My first sewing project...

I have no idea why, but I decided to make place mats as my first sewing project. I think I chose that because I wanted to piece, applique and quilt but on a smaller level. I discovered many mistakes (and a few good things) along the way.

Mistake #1: Measure first and then buy fabric. Otherwise, you'll spend $80.00 (yep, eighty bucks) on fabric and be left with way too much. I'm just saying that no one needs 10 yards (it was actually 10.5 yards) of fabric for 4 place mats. I should have thought of that BEFORE going to the fabric store. 

Good thing #1: If you overbought on place mat fabric, you will certainly have enough left to try to make a quilt... or three. Just make sure you REALLY like your place mat fabric because you might be watching t.v. wrapped up in it in the future.

Good thing #2: Since I wasn't using a pattern, I sketched out and measured what I wanted to cut out. I even divided my place mats into 5 strips vertically and figured in seam allowances.


Mistake #2: Although I sketched and measured, I cut wrong and my should-have-been vertical strips are now horizontal. Either that or I live with narrow place mats that are very tall. Horizontal it is!


Mistake #3: I changed the presser foot to make sure I had the one I needed. However, I didn't change the position of the needle and subsequently broke it with the very first stitch.


Good thing #2: All of my pieces are sewn pretty darn straight!


Mistake #4: I wanted to add an applique and had to go to Wal-Mart for iron on adhesive. I despise Wal-Mart. I also had to unpick quite a bit of stitching because the stitching around my applique was not looking even to me.


Good thing #3: I finally got the applique on the fabric and stitched the edges. It looks pretty good.


Mistake #5: I really have no idea what I'm doing so I schemed up a way to add the back to the place mat. I put some thin cotton padding in between the layers. The mistake was I just started sewing. I ended up unpicking quite a bit.

Good thing #4: Realizing that wasn't going to work, I conjured up another idea. I'm sure it would make and quilter run away terrified, but my way made sense in my head so I went for it. It was semi-successful. Here it is pre-quilted.


Good thing #5: I am a free motion novice but am quickly becoming pretty darn good at it. The stippling part is my favorite!


 Check out that quilting! That's freehand at full speed. I like the way it turned out.



Mistake #6 and Good thing #6: The finished product. Lots of mistakes but a few good lessons learned along the way.


I need to finish up the other 3 place mats but for my very first project with no pattern, I think it turned out okay. And I seriously have a ton of fabric left over. So, I am going to use it to make my first quilt. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I am so totally impressed! Especially with your stippling! Mine would never look that good. I hope you feel amazing! That was an extremely successful first project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is you have talent!! Amazing!!!! I love the colors and the pattern. It will make a beautiful quilt as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE them. You could use your extra fabric to make matching napkins. ;) P.S. Watch for something in your district mail from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! Seriously, you're a pro! :-)

    ReplyDelete