
So last night I went out with my friend Kelley. She and her husband have a ward calling of sorts to "oversee" the singles in their area...or something like that. They keep up with single FHE's, help to spread the word about singles firesides, functions, dances, etc. (Kelley, correct me on that if I'm wrong.) I may be single, but I avoid all of that singles crap as much as I can.
Which leads me to my next thought...
Why exactly am I avoiding it? While out with Kelley, we got into a discussion about it. Of course she knows my view of the church singles scene. (I can be a little opinionated-okay a lot opinionated) We talked about how married people seem to just want us singles to join them on the fast moving train of marital bliss, and how for the most part, those of us who are single are a-okay with who we are and our current single status. It was fun to see her point of view as a married, and maybe a little enlightening for her to hear the point of view of a single. But maybe not. Who knows. I am who I am, I'm single, I have a great life, and I'm happy. Would I like to get married? Absolutely! But for now, I'm playing with the cards that the almighty dealer has dealt to me and I am currently not holding the marriage card, which is just fine. That means it's still in the deck and could be dealt out on the next hand. It's all a game of luck.
Or it might be a game of skill...
As for the ward, stake, and regional singles dances, I stay completely away from them. I think for some people, they really enjoy them and feel like it's something to do. They're comfortable with going. I, however, don't feel that way. Why? I'm not sure. Kelley and I talked about it and I didn't have any really good answers for her.
So this morning I'm asking myself this...
Why is it that on "Fun Friday" (as we call it in my classroom) I crank up Dancing Queen by ABBA, act like a total freak dancing and parading around my classroom with my 27 first graders while wearing jeans and a black faculty t-shirt with a big giant raccoon on the back of it (yep...great mascot 'eh?) but I will not set foot into an adult dance with countless age appropriate Mormons grooving out to Dancing Queen who's shirts are raccoon free?
This is something that I seriously may have to search, ponder, and pray about. In the mean time, you will not find me at a singles dance...unless it's with 27 other singles who happen to be six and seven years old and love recess, lunch and raccoons.
Another reason for your liberating dance is because you don't have to worry about any of those 27 singles creepily coming up to and attempting to hold an awkward conversation - it's pure love and innocence. Let's have a combined dance party next Friday. Haha!
ReplyDeleteYou are an awesome teacher!!! I wish I were more like you:) Sure miss you all at Ridgeline!
ReplyDeletehey blah-bitty blah blah! Listen! .... If you don't put yourself out there, then ...... duh! Get your butt out there, do your part, woman. Just go to one thing per month. Maybe not dances, but firesides are cool. They have awesome service activities and stuff, too. I have so much fun talking with you. We have different opinions on things, but it's awesome how we "click" and have a blast at our favorite restaurant! I had actually been thinking of our conversation daily.....so it really affected me, as it may have you, too. Wow. we are so mature!!!!
ReplyDelete