Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Working at the Plastics Place...

Since Ken and I are both home for the summer, we decided to work INCREDIBLY part time at my dad's business this summer. By incredibly part time, I'm talking about 9 hours a week each. 3 hours a day, 3 days a week. We go together and leave together, and it's nothing but casual while we're there. It's just enough work time to get us out of bed in the mornings and bring in a little extra cash every two weeks. My dad owns a mold making and plastic injection company that manufactures medical and non-medical parts. My dad has done this my entire life so it's nothing fascinating to me. But if you've never seen everything in action, it's kind of cool.

Here's our day this morning while working at the Plastics Place. This is my dad's office. It always looks this way. But where is my dad?


He's in the other office.


Talking on his cell phone.


Surfing the internet.



And watching the news about the fire that is near their cabin. You can do anything you want to when you're the boss.


This is Kendra.


She's inspecting medical parts. She's worked for my dad for a really long time. She's great!



This is Clint (my older brother) in his office. He pretty much runs the place. It's a family business and we've all worked there at one point or another.


Here's the machine shop. Nothing going on in here today.



Here's one of the molding rooms. It's the one I was working in today.


The machines are loud and hot. Each one is running something different. Everyone was at lunch so it was a good time to take some pictures.



This has been my spot for the last few days.


I had to use a blade to trim a bunch of these. They're called Flow Sensors. I have no idea how they work. All I know is that they're used in hospitals.

 

Here are a bunch I trimmed today.


Ken was in a different part of the building.


He got to play with this machine. It's a grinder.


It takes the runners that were connected to different parts...


and grinds them into this powder to be used again.


Ken's job is to take a handful of runners,


feed them to the grinder, which is SUPER loud


and do it over and over and over again until all of the runners are done.


We're basically doing the jobs that ANYONE can do, but NOBODY can do because they're all busy doing other things. What we're doing is easy, brainless and relaxed. I could get used to a job like that!

3 comments:

  1. It may be easy, brainless, and relaxed BUT who would tell you about what their parents did last night or that you are the BEST teacher in the WHOLE world????

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of work sounds heavenly right now....3 more days of STARS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this I ran to the window and looked for pigs to fly by. Didn't see any, but I"m sure they're out there.:)

    ReplyDelete