Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Baby Shower Centerpiece...

The school that I teach at does quarterly baby showers for teachers and staff. This week we're having a joint baby shower for 5 teachers, one of which is on my team. We all pitch in for a gift and each grade level is in charge of a centerpiece for the mother-to-be that they teach with. My team asked me to make the one for our coworker. Not having a clue what to make, I got online and searched for ideas. Diaper cakes scare the heck out of me - there's something I find creepy about rolling up diapers to make a "cake". I ruled that out and found this idea instead...

A baby onesie and washcloth bouquet. This picture gave me my idea so off to the store I went.


I ended up purchasing 9 onesies, 6 baby washcloths, ribbons, floral tape, wooden dowels, tape, rubber bands, etc. Yep. My blank canvas.


Ken even joined me for a while and rolled the onesies and washcloths onto dowels.


After they were rubber banded (to help them not unroll) I went over them with floral tape - it doesn't leave any sticky residue.


 I decided they needed some "foliage" so I added layers of ribbon to each one and taped that on as well.



I bought 2 different shades of green for contrast. 


I was going to put my bouquet in a large flower pot but I was able to get this basket for $5.00 - much less expensive than the pots I had been looking at. I found styrofoam that fit inside of it perfectly. Bonus!


I added green shredded crinkle paper (thank goodness Easter stuff is in the stores already) over the top of the styrofoam and started shoving the "flowers" into the basket. I also added some painted cut outs that I just taped onto dowels and added yellow ribbon to.



It's kind of a strange centerpiece but it's all completely useable. Hopefully it will work out for the baby shower. Not too shabby for my first attempt!


3 comments:

  1. Its beautiful!! And again, I want lessons when you are home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! You should have your own show:) I would watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It turned out so beautiful - and useful - even better. I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete