Ken had his audition at BYU this morning for graduate school.
(I'll tell you about that at the end of this post)
We got up extra early so Ken could shower and get ready and then go practice a little bit before we left. I stayed in bed while Ken was in the shower and shaving. My plan was to shower and get myself ready while Ken was off practicing. Ken came into the bedroom and we talked for a minute then he said he was going to leave. Less than a minute later as I'm laying in bed, I hear...
Not sure what in the world made that sound, I jump out of bed and open the door that goes into the garage from the kitchen. I ran outside, pj's and all, to see that what used to look like this...
now looks like this.
Ken had clipped the passenger side mirror of his car on the wood surround of the garage.
Needless to say, Ken was about ready to explode. The poor man has been under a lot of stress lately with the upcoming audition and with about two hours until performance time, parts of his car are now lying on the driveway. I told him it was okay, that we would get it fixed, and not to worry about it. He looked at me, totally annoyed, and said "Of all of the days! Why would this happen today?" He left, very unhappily, to go and practice for 45 minutes.
As I was getting ready, I just kept smiling while thinking... why today? Why NOT today. Because Satan knows how we function and knows that nothing could tick Ken off more than if the day got started wrong. If the day got started with Ken mad and upset, his audition could go badly. Of course today would be the perfect day! For six months he's parked in the garage and never even came close to clipping his mirror. Today would have to be the day!
Why today? Because Ken is moving forward doing all of the right things and striving to keep the commandments. That crafty little Satan... he can kick below the belt sometimes. Good thing it didn't end up changing Ken's audition at all!
We arrived at BYU with plenty of time to waste. Ken checked in and filled out the paperwork for his audition. I wasn't able to sit in and listen, but I could hear him playing through the door. It sounded good to me, but Ken said there were a few places he stumbled. Oh well. That's life. Even the best stumble here and there. After Ken finished playing, the professor invited me to come in while they talked. He asked Ken some questions about his schooling at the University of Utah and about his future plans. I felt really good about the experience. The professor seemed so optimistic and positive with Ken. We both left feeling really hopeful and grateful for how the audition went. Ken said he felt like he hadn't played as well as he would have liked to, but that he left the audition feeling better than he thought he would.
So now we wait, and wait, and wait until BYU notifies people if they have been accepted or not. It will probably take a month and a half or longer, I would guess. No matter what happens, I feel like Ken is doing exactly what he should be doing. I'm really proud of him for continuing to push forward with his plans and dreams, even if I'm secretly jumping for joy that the audition is over.

Glad to hear the audition went well.
ReplyDeleteAs for the little accident, I did the same thing over the summer to my van! Must be an Adams thing?! Let me know if you need some advice when it comes to fixing it...Patrick did ours! :)
Ken is amazing....no worries I say, it'll all happen, he'll get excepted I'm sure! Everytime I drive out of the garage I expect that to happen since I leave half awake most mornings, lol..you two are a great couple together!
ReplyDelete