Wednesday, December 7, 2011

243/365 - 70 years ago...


70 years sounds like a long time ago. 
1941 doesn't sound that long ago to me though.
My parent were born in the 1940's.
My parents don't seem old.
Maybe it's because I'm getting old myself and my parent are just my parents. They never really seem to age in my eyes.

My grandpa (my mom's dad) fought in World War II. From what I know of, he was in the Philippines and saw and heard things no one should have to see or hear. I am amazed by his willingness to fight for my rights, even though he had no idea I would be born into his family line 30+ years later. He never talks about the war. I can't blame him. Who would want to. I heard on the news this morning that this is the last time the official "Pearl Harbor Society" will be honoring those who served. The society is dismantling. I guess they figure after 70 years it's just history.




I really don't like being alive in a time where "stuff" is rolling into history. My entire lifetime we have been graced to hear firsthand accounts of World War II and Pearl Harbor from the men and women who were there. When I went to Pearl Harbor myself, I was humbled to see the men proudly wearing hats and pins that identified them as veterans. It was almost spiritual. We don't hear about it too much anymore. There aren't too many World War II veterans around. It's all just printed in books now. My students won't know or remember any WWII vets. It will just be something they learn in a history class.

I hope we can always remember December 7, 1941.
It was a day that would have a great influence.
It changed our country. 
It changed the lives of way too many; both soldiers and civilians.
It left physical and emotional scars that aren't just history.
I sure am grateful for their sacrifice!

No comments:

Post a Comment