Wednesday, December 14, 2011

249/365 - I did it!!

It's all done!


The colonoscopy is over.
Hal-lay-freakin-loo-yah!
It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't my idea of fun. Ken took some pictures on his iTouch this morning while we were at the hospital but he's in the middle of taking a final exam so I'll have to post those later. The general gist of the whole thing is this...
  • The prep part wasn't nearly as awful as I was expecting.
  • I missed food and treats a lot in the 36 hours that I couldn't eat. I missed it more than I thought I would.
  • I went without diet Coke as well. It was hell, plain and simple.
  • I discovered that Mrs. Adams + no food/diet Coke + 29 first graders the last week of school before Christmas Break = one grouchy teacher.
  • The IV was the worst part of it all. It took 2 nurses and a few attempts to get it in. They got it in my arm and took it out. Then they put it in my hand. It stung pretty good.
  • "Going Under" isn't too scary. They told me when I was getting the sedative, I said I was dizzy and then it was all over.
  • I discovered I have a reaction to the sedative. It made me really nauseous when I came out of it. I got home and ate some bread and immediately threw it up.
  • The test showed absolutely nothing! Woohoo! Given a family history, I was relieved to know that there is nothing abnormal. Now I just have to convince my older brother to go.
  • I don't have to do it again until I'm 45 years old.
Yep. I seriously am amazed I didn't run. I'm pretty proud of myself for being brave. So let's see... that's a mammogram AND a colonoscopy in the same year. Getting older is getting less and less fun, but I sure have a lot more peace of mind than I did last year at this time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so happy for you that it is all over!!! And even more glad that everything is clean and normal. Now you can relax and enjoy the entire Christmas break!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. And much braver than I. My mom had her first colonoscopy this year and she is 72! So glad the news was "no news" for you!

    ReplyDelete