Thursday, January 5, 2012

270/365 - Aunt Shirley...

Ken's been pretty close to his great aunt Shirley throughout the years. Shirley is Ken's maternal grandmother's oldest sister. Did you follow that? Ken's grandma passed away about 10 years ago. I think in some ways Shirley has been like a grandma to Ken. Shirley hasn't been doing too well lately. She's in a rehab facility right now. We went over last night to see her. I thought Ken's family, who mostly live out of state, would like to see Shirley.



She's lost a lot of weight and is pretty weak. But she was SUPER chatty last night. It was fun to listen to all of her stories. We're planning on going back over on Friday or Saturday night. She clearly loves having visitors. Who wouldn't?! 

As a side note that I don't want to forget... Shirley made sure Ken would play at her funeral. I know that sounds morbid, but she's 80+ years old and knows it's coming. She asked Ken to promise he would play the organ (which he did) and also asked him to make sure "Called To Serve" was one of the songs sung at her funeral. She told us that she knows people will think it isn't appropriate for a funeral but that she thought it was the most appropriate song there was. She said it is her favorite hymn because the first time she heard it was when she was in the MTC with her late husband Tom as they were preparing to serve a mission together. She told us she also likes it because it's one of Elder Packer's favorite songs as well. She said that when someone dies they are truly "Called To Serve" on the other side of the veil. I thought that was really poignant.

No comments:

Post a Comment