Ken and I went to the fair earlier this week.
We saw (and smelled) lots of critters.
Once the massive wind storm calmed down, it was a nice night.
We'd heard about all of the crazy fair food. You know, anything and everything deep fried. We HAD to try it!!
Here's Ken while we were waiting in line. He was pretty excited.
There's the fry guy.
We weren't this brave. Fried bacon stuffed Twinkies... deep fried? Gross!
These were our options...
We went with the deep fried Oreos.
There's the fair guy handing them over.
Here goes nothing!
We also got a chocolate funnel cake. I'd never tried funnel cake before.
Absolutely evil.
Ken was loving it!
I must admit... the deep fried Oreos were a lot better than I thought they would be. They were soft and smooshy inside and the batter on them was sweet.
We'd heard about deep fried butter. I know, I know... heart attack waiting to happen. Ken and I thought it had to be honey butter wrapped in scone dough and then fried kind of like an inside out scone or something. After a lot of wandering, we finally found the booth that sold it... along with some other bizarre foods.
This place had all kind of strange things. Chocolate covered bugs, Rocky Mountain Oysters, and Maggot Melt Sandwiches. Yeah. The fried butter isn't sounding so bad anymore is it.
The booth guy kept trying to get me to try a maggot. Ummm... I won't even eat a pork chop so I'm pretty sure I won't be sampling any larvae.
Here's our fried butter.
By the way, our tummies were pretty full on fried overload but we HAD to try it!
I must admit... NOTHING like we thought.
Not sweet.
No honey butter.
It truly was good old butter deep fried in some kind of unsweetened dough.
I do not recommend trying deep fried butter.
We both took a bite, pulled a "I cannot believe I just ate that" face and threw the rest in the trash. Maybe I should have tried the maggots after all! Oh well. At least we were brave and tried it.
Okay, the fried Oreos look delicious but I am positively nauseous reading about the fried butter!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite memories is going to the fair with Cortnee in Idaho- SO fun. I have never been to the fair here, but maybe I should for the oreos. YUMMY!!!
ReplyDeleteOh man... I just lost my appetite.
ReplyDeleteLove funnel cake!!
ReplyDelete