One of my students parents said one of the nicest things to me this week. It's not that the comment was particularly kind, it was just that she made the comment about my time... or the lack thereof.
A student's mom was in my room volunteering and the conversation went a little something like this...
Parent: "Mrs. Adams, when do you do your shopping?"
Me: "What kind of shopping?"
Parent: "Well any kind. I went to the mall the other day and thought about you. I thought about how easy it is for me to run errands and get things done because I'm not at work all day. I just wondered when you have time to get stuff done."
Me: "I usually go at nights after I leave the school or on Saturdays."
Parent: "What time do you leave the school?"
Me: "Not until 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. most nights."
Parent: "Wow. Your days are non-stop."
It made me happy in a weird way that a parent would think of me while they were at the mall, realizing that I am spending all day with their child (working my @#$! off, I might add) and wondering when I get my own stuff accomplished.
We had parent/teacher conferences this week and I was exhausted. I took Friday off of work as a personal day. How many errands did I run? Zero. What did I get accomplished? Nothing. I spent my time being lazy. Sometimes that's better than going to the mall!

No comments:
Post a Comment