Friday, April 15, 2011

15/365 - Frustration and lint...

This week has been a little bit frustrating.
We've been dealing with a clothes dryer that doesn't dry.
It takes three 90 minute cycles on high to dry a load of towels.
It takes two 90 minute cycles on high to dry underwear.
Obviously, something is wrong.

I will sum up my frustration this week...

Tuesday
Had an appointment to have a dryer repairman come to look at our dryer. Maytag scheduled them to come between 12:00-5:00 p.m. Having not seen someone by 4:30 p.m. I called the service company and was told someone would be there between 3:30-6:30 p.m. and they would call before they came. Well, after having sat home all day NO ONE came, no one called, nothing. They just flat out didn't show up. I was livid.
Summary: 
Wasted day
No repairman
Very, very unhappy Kristina

Wednesday
Woke up, and much to Ken's dismay, I called Maytag and the appliance service company to complain. I know it didn't do any good, but it made me feel better after having wasted an entire day for nothing. I called a different service company and they came out within a few hours. After being at our house for less than 5 minutes, we were told there was nothing wrong with the dryer. The problem was with the vent. It was clogged and making the dryer not work correctly. And this was something that they couldn't fix. We would have to call a vent cleaning company.
Summary:
Semi-wasted day
Repairman unable to fix
Paid a $90.00 service charge for nothing
Very unhappy Ken
Very unhappy Kristina

As soon as the repairman left, I called ANOTHER place to have our dryer vent cleaned out. They couldn't come out until Friday.

Friday
This morning, the vent cleaning company came at 8:45 a.m. 


He was so nice and immediately got working on the vent.
The noise from the auger/blower thing sounded HORRIBLE! It runs clear up into the dryer itself and sounded like it was coming through the wall. It was a little scary. Tank barked and barked.



There was at least a foot of lint in the window well just below where the dryer vents,


and a bunch of lint out on the grass. GROSS!


The vent cleaning guy said he doubts the vent has ever been cleaned out in the 20 years the home has been here. He said it wasn't the worst he'd seen, but it ranked up there pretty high. There was a lot of damp lint that was clogging the airflow. The vent cover actually opens now when the dryer is running, and the grass is blowing from the air coming out of the vent. I have a load of towels in the dryer now. The dryer is running a lot quieter and after 30 minutes, the towels are dry. Problem solved!
Summary:
It's 10:00 a.m. and I have the entire day ahead of me
Repairman actually fixed the problem
Clothes are drying better than ever
$99.00 to fix the problem
Very, very, very happy Kristina
(I'm sure Ken is happy too, but he's at work)

1 comment:

  1. WAHOOOOOOOO! I have an appointment with the vent cleaners in a couple of weeks and am so excited. We have lived there 4 years and have never had the vents cleaned so I am sure it will help with the laundry but also with the allergies in our home. YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete