Saturday, April 9, 2011

9/365 - Fantasy Bacon...

It's spring break, however it's not very "springy" outside.
This morning, we woke up to this! Ewwww...

Our poor little daffodils. They're so droopy.

Today is Saturday. 
I got to sleep in - best thing ever!
 Ken had a 6:00 a.m. work meeting followed by teaching an organ lesson - not necessarily the best thing ever for him.

 I told him I'd have breakfast ready for him when he got home. 
So, I thought I'd blog about our favorite way to make bacon. I saw it on the Martha Stewart show years ago. According to Martha, "it's a good thing", and Ken and I agree!
So here you go...

I lay the thick sliced bacon on a cookie cooling rack and put that on top of a foil lined cookie sheet.

Crack a generous amount of black pepper across the top of the bacon.

Sprinkle brown sugar on top of the pepper.

Bake at 350 degrees until it's as done as you like it. 
I usually bake it for 30-40 minutes, but I like my bacon well done and crunchy. Ken prefers his lukewarm and flimsy. I try to cook it somewhere in between the two. Often times, the sugar that is on the foil will begin to burn and smoke a little while it's in the oven so you may have to watch it. On the left is the candied bacon all cooked. On the right is regular, uncandied bacon ready to eat. I made both just for something different.

We also have a love for the Lehi Roller Mills blueberry muffins. It's a local company, one town away, and their muffins are delicious! They were on today's menu as well.

By the time Ken got home, breakfast was served. We had some leftover bacon, onion and swiss quiche from a few days ago, blueberry muffins, and our favorite candied bacon.

Certainly not a healthy meal, but a perfect one for a lazy Saturday morning.

3 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'm coming to your house for breakfast. Have a great spring break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make that bacon too except I coat the bacon with mustard, brown sugar and pepper. It sounds gross, but it is to die for. In fact, when I make it, I eat so much I could quite possibly die for real. Try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete