Friday, November 19, 2010

Pilgrims and cans...


With the holiday coming up, we've been talking about Pilgrims and Thanksgiving in my classroom. Yesterday, we read a historical fiction picture book that told how the Pilgrims lived when they arrived to America and began settling Plymouth. The book tells how the day of a Pilgrim woman would have been spent mainly cleaning and cooking. The book mentioned that the men and boys wouldn't have cooked or cleaned. After I finished reading the book, one of my students came up to me and said...
"My mom must be a Pilgrim because she does all of those things while we all play!"



Later yesterday, I had a different student come up to talk to me. The conversation went a little something like this...

Student: Mrs. Adams. I have a question.
Me: I have an answer.
Student: (with a very concerned look on his face) I've been thinking about something.
Me: What's that?
Student: Well, I don't understand about your husband.
Me: Don't understand what?
Student: Why anyone would have that name. Why would anyone want to be named Can?
Me: His name is Ken.
Student: Yeah... I know. I just don't know why his name is Can... like a soup Can.
Me: It's not Can. His name is Ken. (emphasizing the difference in the vowel sound)
Student: (looking very confused) I already KNOW that.
Then my little student walked away... still convinced Can and I are married.
(obviously we need a little work on our short vowel sounds here...)


2 comments: