Before Ken and I got married, we had decided that one of the rooms downstairs would be an office for him. It's not a large room, but he needed somewhere for his things. His own space. His man cave. I feel like my classroom is my office, and really don't feel a need to have one at home for myself.
This was Ken's office...
It's a little junky but functional. As Ken said, it looks a little like a college dorm room. Yeah. I agree. But we combined his old furniture with a desk I had (none of which really matched) and made do with it. Its just an office, right?
Well about four weeks ago, Ken and I went to Office Depot to buy a binder. Seeing all of the office furniture they have there, I made the comment that I thought we should get him some new office furniture. He's never really had anything like that, and I certainly feel like he's MORE than worth it. We looked around at stuff for fun. But when we really got a little more serious about it, we decided that real, solid oak furniture was what we were after. Yeah... it was quite a bit more expensive than the particle board and laminate furniture, but we really wanted to invest in something. We shopped around and found exactly what we wanted.
Soooooo...
We cleaned out the office and took down Ken's beloved flags. Bye bye college dorm room!
Other than the window, we took the room down to the bare walls.
Added a non-slip rug backing.
Went rug shopping.
Traded out Ken's red curtains for burgundy ones.
The rug was EXACTLY what both of us had in mind!
We love it!!
Tank was camped out on it most of the night!
Ken found a lamp that he really liked.
After two weeks of waiting for everything to arrive, the phone rang at 7:30 a.m. this morning. The RC Willey delivery truck was on its way!
Having someone else haul it all downstairs and assemble it is worth the cost alone!! They had to haul down the desk, the return, the hutch, two bookcases, two filing cabinets, the office chair, and the acrylic mat for the chair.
Ken did have to assemble his new leather office chair, however. It only took him a few minutes.
An hour or so later, the RC Willey guys left.
Viola!
The new digs...
Ken had to squeeze his stereo in the corner.
I'm glad it fits.
BEFORE
AFTER
A thousand percent better!
And it all started with buying a binder!
He still needs to move his books and things back in but I know my little grad student will LOVE LOVE LOVE his new cave!
I'm am laughing as I look at how much our lives parallel from 1400 miles away...from teaching to sick beds to new office furniture! Too funny! I hope you're feeling better, I'm finally on the uphill side (as long as I didn't just jinx it) and I hope Ken enjoys his man cave as much as we are enjoying our new space! :)
ReplyDeleteThe new furniture looks AMAZING! I bet he will never leave his "man cave" now. ;) I really like the finished product.
ReplyDeleteThe perfect office for a new grad student!
ReplyDeleteIt's BEAUTIFUL!!!! Wow!!! I love the furniture you guys chose!! Well done. That's probably the fanciest man cave I've ever seen!!
ReplyDelete