So there is one thing about being a little older (37 years next month) and married that grates on my nerves. It's "THE" question that I get asked more often than I would like.
It usually goes a little something like this...
"You're getting a little "up there" in years. Are you planning on having any kids?"
"How long have you been married now? When do you plan on starting a family?"
"Don't you want a baby?"
"How much longer are you going to wait before you have a baby?"
And the statements people give me sometimes crack me up...
"You know, my sister was in her late thirties when she got pregnant and her baby was just fine."
"There's always invetro. It can take years but it's an option."
"The risk of having a Down Syndrome baby isn't too high for you yet."
"God just sends them when it's their time."
"There are a lot of children that need to be adopted."
I haven't made any off that up.
I am NOT kidding.
I have heard it all.
Today at work a coworker asked me a similar question in passing. Here's how it went.
Coworker: "Hey can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Sure."
Coworker: "Do you want kids?"
Me: "Yeah. Why?"
Coworker: "Well I just wondered because you're not pregnant yet and I wondered if teaching school made you not want to have your own kids."
Me: "No. I do want kids but I don't think now is the time."
Coworker: "I was just wondering. Being a teacher would probably make you a good parent. At least you have other people's kids."
Other people's kids?
Like I can't have my own?
LISTEN...
I would love to have a baby. I really, really would.
My kid would rock and be the cutest dang little critter on the entire planet!!
My kid would have an amazing nursery.
I guarantee it!!
Let's not even talk about their closet.
It will be amazing too!
And of course they would have the cutest toys!
And I would love my baby more than any parent has ever loved their child. It will be wanted, it will be cherished and it will be LOVED!!
And you know what else, all of my many years of life experience and teaching "other people's" children will make me a better parent when my own come along. There will be a lot of advantages to having children later in life.
That's all.
I just needed to rant.
In cases like this, people need to keep their personal questions and comments to themselves. Am I alone with this?







And they say kids say the darndest things...
ReplyDeleteIt never ceases to amaze me the stupid things people say to each other when it is completely none of their business. I always had to smile when I was a pregnant nurse and people were like, "Wow, you look like you could deliver any day," and I was five months along OR 'Wow, are you SURE you're not having twins?" Yup, pretty darn. Or after my miscarriage people said really insensitive things like, "You guys are young, you can have another baby" or "It was only 12 weeks along, it wasn't REALLY a baby yet". Ya, we wanted THAT one. Case in point: People are idiots. I have to say I totally agree with you that you guys will have an adorable little critter and I will be excited to see him/her someday!
ReplyDeleteI agree 100% with Andrea. People can just plain be rude. I have also had all sorts of comments over the years. "you really are having ANOTHER one." after my miscarriage last summer I heard... "Oh well, You can always have another". "Boy are you ever going to pop". Yep... we have heard it all. And all I really want to do is slug them. Haven't yet, but maybe someday I will be brave enough to.
ReplyDeleteI really don't think people realize that we all have our own plan in life, and it is PERSONAL-- none of their business! They need to just keep their mouths shut and their opinions to themselves! I hope some day it will be right, and you and Ken will have a beautiful baby to call your own. Only the two of you and the Lord know when that time is. Yes he will be adorable, and no doubt spoiled! And you will be a wonderful mom. HOw could you not? You are already a wonderful "mom" to a whole bunch of cute 1st graders.
Can I say I TOTALLY understand! I am sorry!
ReplyDeleteOh man... I have no doubt that nursery would be the cutest nursery around!! If you want practice I'll let you do my next one... And no... that's not an announcement. I'm sorry for the nagging questions people keep imposing on you.
ReplyDeleteA.M.E.N.
ReplyDelete