So after posting for 30 continuous days, I feel like I'm going through withdrawals by not posting today. Nothing really exciting happened, but I did make a cool discovery today. I was reviewing personification (when non-human things take on human attributes and characteristics) with my first grade students today. We brainstormed a lot of characters that we know that are a result of personification, but my favorite picture book to reinforce the concept is...
We talk about how the cows, hens, and ducks do things that animals don't do. People type and write letters, animals don't. The animals type letters (on a typewriter they find in the barn) to Farmer Brown demanding things.
My little students really have no idea what a typewriter is. We're in the mini-computer days, my friends. I have a typewriter that my parents bought for me when I was in elementary school because I liked to play office and type stuff. I'm so glad I had parents that fostered my imagination. They bought it used, but it was REAL and as a kid, that was pretty cool.
Well, I still have my typewriter, case, and key.
I let each of my first graders have a turn to type on it after we finish discussing the story. They love it! The typewriter is in need of a new ink ribbon. Not sure if they even still made typewriter ribbons or not, I got online and did a little research. I found out that they do still make replacement ribbon (I ordered one today) for my typewriter which was manufactured in 1956. Who knew it was 55 years old! Not only that, but when I searched online for some information, it's valued at $350.00-$595.00 with the case. Amazing! I plan on keeping it forever, mainly because I like to use it in my classroom once a year. It makes Click, Clack, Moo... Cows That Type a lot more fun and memorable. I feel like I had my own little Antiques Roadshow moment today. Ha ha!




I heard once that Elder Wirthlin never transferred over to a computer - he kept writing his talks on a typewriter and would get it serviced in Salt Lake somewhere. So if you ever need work done on it, I'm sure Church Headquarters would be happy to give you a reference! :)
ReplyDeleteBTW, I loved your 30 days of blogging! They were MY 30 days of entertainment! :) So much fun. Thanks for posting!
Oh so cood! What a great thing to have!! I wish I could see the kids faces!
ReplyDelete