Saturday, July 16, 2011

108/365 - Cake Day...

I am married to a man who refuses to celebrate his birthday. He hates it, won't talk about it, and threatens to move to Zimbabwe if you even think about celebrating it. He's not bluffing either. I don't understand it because when it's MY birthday, I want everyone to take the day off, bask in my awesomeness and make a medium-sized deal over the fact that I was born. That's how it should be. Not for Ken.

I went out on a limb this year and began referring to Ken's unmentioned day as Cake Day. It seems to have stuck. Make sure you add July 15th as Cake Day on your calendar. It's new holiday. On Cake Day, there are gifts, cards, and of course cake!

We were lucky to have Ken's mom staying with us from Wisconsin on Cake Day. We all went to lunch, ran errands, and went to an organ recital that Ken was playing at as part of a church activity. Then, we came back to our house to celebrate Cake Day. That would be Ken's favorite cake from the Cheesecake Factory. We lit the candles and sang a little song called "Happy Cake Day To You", which sounds eerily similar to "Happy Birthday To You". Go figure!




Here's Ken packing up some "to go" cake for his mom.


Ken's sister Jaime and her cute kids came for the recital. This is Brooke having too much fun with Tank.



Tank was in toy heaven.


Ken's nephew, Carson, was filling out some papers about Ken's recital.



Afterward, we all went out for shakes, french fries, and hamburgers. It was a late night for everyone, but it was really fun to have some of Ken's family there to help celebrate Cake Day. Hope you had a good day Ken. I love you!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, the cake looks delicious. Love me some Cheesecake Factory. Happy Cake Day to Ken! Where did you get your hamburgers, shakes and fries? That is what your next post should be like- there are the BEST places in AF to get those goods!!!

    ReplyDelete