Yesterday was our anniversary. But it was also just a normal day. Ken worked until 3:00 p.m. and I went about my day as normal. Before we went out to dinner, we decided to run to the DMV. Ken's drivers license expired on his Cake Day without him realizing it. Since we're taking a road trip, a valid license is a must. So, we went to the DMV, filled out all of the forms, stood in all of the lines and waited for our turn. Things were looking good until...
He couldn't pass the eye exam portion.
They sent us home and we were no further than before we had gone there. It was really frustrating. Ken's new glasses hadn't come in yet. There wasn't much we could do. His drivers license renewal application was...
With that less-than-lovely experience behind us, we went home and got ready to go out to celebrate our first anniversary. I had made reservations at an upscale restaurant in Orem. When we got there, we were seated and handed our fancy menus. Immediately, I knew we were in trouble. There were only about 10 meals on the menu that night. I knew that Ken was disgusted with the daring selection and duck breast with goat cheese wasn't sounding very appetizing to me either. Ken and I chatted for a couple of minutes about whether or not we should leave and the waiter brought us water. I finally pulled "wife rank" and told Ken we were leaving. He didn't really want to because it would have been embarrassing. But I told him I REALLY wanted to go somewhere else. So, we got up and walked out. I think Ken was pretty relieved we did. I've never done that before. It was a little liberating.
By now it's 8:00 p.m. and we were both hungry and tired. I decided to drive from Orem to Salt Lake to take our chances at the swanky Roof Restaurant in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on Temple Square. We had just eaten in that building the week before but I wanted to try the nicer restaurant.
We got there about 8:40 p.m. and the views were amazing!
The food, which was a wonderful buffet, was fantastic and they have an all you can eat dessert bar. The creme brulee was divine! We were both so glad we left the other restaurant and had a delicious meal that we really enjoyed. I think we found our new "nice dinner out" spot.
Ken also got me some roses for our anniversary.
We had a rule... because of our upcoming trip, no one was to get the other anything other than a card. Ken claims he didn't break this rule because he didn't get anything... I did. The flowers were for me and not him. Therefore, he didn't get anything and the rule wasn't broken. His logic left me speechless. But I secretly loved that he got me flowers!
This afternoon, we went back to the eye doctor. Ken's new glasses were finally in (he's wearing them in the picture) AND they printed him a certificate saying his exam is current and he could be exempt from having to take it at the DMV.
We drove back the the DMV, waited in all of the lines again and guess what!
He went ahead and took the eye exam with his new glasses. This time he was...
I'm glad Ken is street legal and can see. Whew!







Wow! What a day...the DMV is another hell on earth (like the post office) and shouldn't have to be experienced on a holiday. Your anniversary should definitely qualify as a holiday! Can you tell I look for any reason to declare a celebration?! :) That's why my birthday is a week long celebration until Patrick's birthday interrupts and we start a new celebration. hehe! Congrats to the two of you...I am so happy for you both!
ReplyDeleteOK, LOVE the "Roof" pictures! What a view! I think me and Shay will need to go there next year!
ReplyDeleteJust so you know, I am completely aware that it should have said said "Shay and I"....now! Ugh, so much for being a teacher?!?!? :-&
ReplyDelete