Everyone has one... a uvula. It's not a "female thing". You know, the dangly thing at the back of your throat? Yep. It's a uvula. Well, my uvula is not doing very well these days. I went to the doctor yesterday because I don't feel very good. My throat has been really sore, there is pain in my right ear and I have a cough and a runny nose. I was pretty sure I had a lovely cold (or sinus infection) along with strep because my uvula was all white and bulgy. After waiting for 2 hours in the doctor's waiting room (seriously - 2 hours) he saw me and said "Yep. That's strep" and did a strep test. The problem is... the strep test came back negative.
Upon further investigation (don't you love how that sounds) and more testing, guess what! It's all viral. Much to the dismay of my antibiotic appreciating body, it's all viral and nothing will help. Turns out I have an ulcer on my uvula. It's basically a big, painful canker that reminds me it's there every time I swallow. It hurts!
The pictures below are not of my mouth. They're ones I found on the internet. But my mouth looks pretty similar.
The cause? Well, stress basically. Stress and getting run down. There is a lot going on in my life right now and I do tend to internalize things. But come on... an ulcer on my uvula!? 3 days into my summer break!? How annoying. So, between my coughing, sneezing, blowing my nose and my painful right ear, I get to wait it out while my uvula de-ulcerfies itself, however long THAT takes. Is de-ulcerfy even a word? I don't think so. At any rate, I'm sick.
Feel bad for me!
P.S. Ken's getting over a sinus infection. He's been on antibiotics for days and feels great. I felt bad for him at first but the antibiotics fixed him right up. So Ken gets to take antibiotics to feel better, and I'm just toughing it out. And to add insult to injury, I also have a lovely cold sore that came on during all of this. So, so unfair!!
I definitely feel bad for you. Being sick is NO FUN! So sorry.
ReplyDeleteI have had that before too, NO fun. Mine was so big I woke up choking on it hahahahaa I hope you de-ulcerfy soon so you can ENJOY this break you get.
ReplyDeleteSorry you're sick...hopefully it won't last long. Summer break is suppose to be when you get to relax and pamper yourself without sickness! YUCK!!
ReplyDeleteI have had that twice before, they are the worst. My cousin was my doctor at the time I had those and since he is a doctor I believed everything he told me. Well he decided to tell me a little joke and said that my Uvula is going to fall off but not to worry because it will grow right back. I believed it for days until I told my Mom and she started laughing at me. :)But I heard those can be caused by stress in your life I was in school when I had both of mine.
ReplyDeleteThis is Lindsey Boskovich by the way. for some reason it is giving me deficults on posting a comment.
Ouch, yuck, and I'm sorry. :(
ReplyDelete