Friday, July 29, 2011

121/365 - Flat as a pancake...

Ken and I will be taking a little...


I took my car into the shop to have them look at things. My car is a 2009 with 23,000 miles on it (I bought it in 2008 with 2 miles on it. Yeah, I don't go anywhere) so it's not that old but it's also not new. I ended up having the rotors resurfaced and putting on a new set of good tires. I was into it a big chunk of change. The fantastic new tires went on the car yesterday. Woohoo!

BUT...
Today as I was driving, the car seemed to suddenly get loud. I pulled over, got out and saw this


My rear passenger tire was as flat as flat could be. I was sitting on the rim. I hurried and put on my hazard lights and called the mechanic who had put the tires on just yesterday.


He came over within a few minutes (thankfully I was close to home AND close to the mechanic) and put air into the tire using a portable air compressor. I was happy to be rescued! I did, however, have a nice guy stop and ask me if he could change my tire. I thought that was really nice. Yippee for the fact that there are still some Good Samaritans out there.


It turns out that Toyota uses some special sensor on the tire stem and evidently the seal had broken on that tire stem and air leaked. I guess it's a pretty random thing. So with air in my leaky tire, I drove to the mechanic shop. They fixed the problem and had me on the road within fifteen minutes.


I'm thinking of it this way...
Maybe my tire was supposed to go flat to so I didn't drive any further. That was my first thought. As crazy and paranoid as it may sound, maybe there was some huge accident, small fender bender, or little kid I could have hit in the middle of the street awaiting me had I gone further. Who knows! The car felt funny and sounded loud suddenly. But rather than be upset that I had a little one hour delay hiccup in my day, I'm grateful it happened in town where help was easily accessible and not on the road trip in the middle of nowhere! Pretty random event though.

No comments:

Post a Comment