The Young Women in our ward are leaving for girls' camp this week. The bishop told them that they needed to do something to earn their $25.00 of camp money. It's really difficult for a 12 year old to earn money. So, a few people in the ward have presented opportunities to the girls to earn money. I jumped on that bandwagon too.
Last week, I sent out an email to our ward that if there were a couple of girls who still needed to earn their money, they could come to our house and we would pay them their $25.00 for 2 hours worth of weeding. Our phone rang within minutes and we had 2 girls eager to come over.
I offered to come pick them up, but they wanted to ride their bikes.
Maddy and Kate were ready to go!
This is Ken's new fountain. Don't you love all of the grass and weeds around it? Yeah well... it's all about to get hosed down with my dad's special concoction of "kill everything green" spray.
Afraid he might miss out on something, Tank refused to go inside and stayed out in the 100 degree weather.
Maddy did a lot more playing with Tank than she did weeding. It's okay though. I was mildly entertained by her conversations with Kate. I forgot what it was like to be 12 years old.
After our 2 hours were up, we all had treats and pink lemonade. The girls packed up their plates with treats to take home as well, and then peddled off on their bikes after I paid them for their work.
I have to be honest... I certainly didn't get my money's worth out of them. They're 12 years old. But it was fun to listen to their conversations about "if you could be a farm animal, what kind would you be?" and listen to Kate say to Maddy "you can talk and pull weeds at the same time you know." Oh well. At least the girls "earned" their money for camp! I'm glad I was released from Young Women's just in the nick of time to miss out on camp. Whew!
No comments:
Post a Comment