Monday, May 16, 2011

46/365 - I've Been Released & We've Been Called...


After just under 2 years serving in the Young Women's program of our church, I was released in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. It's a little bittersweet for me. I have loved the girls and other advisors that I worked with. I haven't, however, loved the Wednesday activities or teaching every Sunday. I don't know why but knowing that I have to be at the church every Wednesday night makes me dread leaving work on Wednesday. I just want to go home and get things done. Selfish, I know. Teaching every Sunday has been a little stressful too. I teach all week long so having to prepare a Sunday lesson sometimes kills me. With all of my complaints, it sounds like I should have been released quite a while ago. I'll miss it, I really will.

Out with the old and in with the new... calling, that is.


In one simple announcement from the pulpit I was released. And in the next sentence, Ken and I received a new calling that we will be serving in together. We are now the Young Single Adult Advisors. And what does this mean exactly? Well, we're not sure. It's a new calling (actually in the new handbook) and we're not replacing anyone. We're the ones that are going to get it up and going. From what we can gather, we are in charge of locating and maintaining contact with the singles in our ward, ages 18-31. We get to track them down if they've moved, become inactive, are away at college, etc. So, as soon as we can meet with the bishopric for a little guidance, we'll start sending out emails, making phone calls, planning activities and finding out where the "lost" ones are. Ken said we're like shepherds. I like that.

Since Ken and I were both older when we got married, I think (between the 2 of us) we know just about every "excuse" there is in the book to not go to church. I'll tell you... it's really difficult to be a little older and single and stay active in the church. I know that sounds horrible, but it's true. I can remember many times thinking "no one will miss me if I'm not there and I'd rather just lay low at home". I wasn't breaking any commandments or doing anything that would put my temple recommend in jeopardy (other than not attending my meetings regularly) but living completely alone and staying active is tricky. Hopefully, Ken and I can help the singles feel welcome and thought of in our ward. And maybe, just MAYBE, we're "cool" enough to click with someone and make a difference. 

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new calling. It sounds like you two will be awesome at it!!! I never really fit in with the YW program either. Some people love it, and it is a wonderful thing for them, but for me, I was the same as you, Wednesday nights were dreaded for me. I am a better fit for Primary. Good luck to you and Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I think you two will be fantastic in that calling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this could be a tough calling, but I bet you and Ken will rock at it! Like you said, you used to be a YSA. Plus, it will be nice to do it together!

    ReplyDelete